December 31, 2007

Savannah & Kevin



It was the last week in October when I met Kevin at BEAMS. He was on deputation and had come to Gulfport to spend a few weeks preaching in some area churches in hopes of raising support before he goes back to Zambia, Africa on January 15, 2008. BEAMS was also responsible for loading and shipping a container to Kafulafuta Baptist Missions in Zambia, Kevin used the opportunity to pack a few items on the container before it was to leave Gulfport. Kevin was staying in our guest rooms on the grounds of BEAMS; we offer them to missionaries as we try to be a blessing to them and support their ministry.

Kevin was like family from the first day. Everyone at BEAMS fell in love with Kevin. He was unique in that he is a single man - most of the missionaries that stay at BEAMS have a wife and children. One by one, each of the staff came to me with the same question, "Have you thought about Kevin for Savannah?" Yes, I had thought about my daughter and our daily prayer during devotion at BEAMS; we had prayed for God to send her a "godly husband." It wasn't as simple as it sounds in print but God did make a way for the two of them to meet before Kevin left to spend the Thanksgiving holidays with his mom in Rochester, NY. He returned to Gulfport the first of December to visit a few more churches and they were able to spent some time together getting to know each other. Before he left Gulfport for the last time, the two of them agreed that they wanted to continue a relationship together. They bought tickets for Vannah to visit Kevin in NY during the New Year's holidays. That's where she is today! Only God knows how this will all develop but for now they really like each other and Mama thinks Kevin just might be part of one of the promises I have from God. A mother wants her children to be in God's perfect will. She wants God to do big things in the lives of her children. I have always asked God to use Savannah and I can't think of a bigger way to use her than if she should be the wife of a God called preacher that is taking the saving Gospel to people who have never heard the name Jesus.

My heart is full. And yes, I am nervous when I think of the possibility of my little girl living so far from me. But for now they are only dating and I think that is wonderful. Pray for them that God will speak clearly and that they will obey His leading. Pray for us as a family that we will seek God's grace to embrace all that He wants to do in and through our family. I want to enjoy all of His promises.

1 comment:

Kevin P said...

All the people at BEAMS moved quickly from friends to family - I really enjoyed spending time with all of the staff. Fun to see the Lord put great teams of diverse people together for the gospel's sake.

The BEAMS ministry energizes me - thinking of all those Bibles going forth and the possible impact - praise the LORD!

Savannah is a special woman! I don't know God's purpose for her but I do believe she will be used to move mountains, walk on water, and set captivity free... you know, the basics ;)