December 30, 2007

My Girls


Last January, after much prayer and leading, I offered a new Sunday School class to the young women in our church. In the previous months, many young families had joined our church family and my heart was burdened for these young women that were attempting to begin a walk with God. Most of them had very little discipling up to this point and almost everything about the Christian life was new to them. Some of the things that they had been taught was not always in keeping with our beliefs at Red Creek Baptist Church. My desire is to create an environment that encourages these young women to grow in the Lord using the Bible as a guide. I pray that they will strengthen one another by praying for each other and becoming sisters in Christ. God has given us each other to help us grow. These young women want to grow and I am priveliged to be there for them.

The class started very small. Savannah, Jamie, Amanda, Korey, Carmen, Allison, Julie & Candice are our current members. I am so blessed to be able to spend time with these young women each Sunday. My role as teacher has held me to a higher standard than I once set for myself. They are watching me and listening to my every word; it is an awesome responsibility to teach. Sadly, this is the first time for some to come together with other women and discuss the things of God. They are hungry for instruction. Praise be to God, I have already seen tremendous growth in these young lives.

We began by learning what the Bible teaches concerning the women's role in the church and in the home. The topics are endless; I've lost track of the outlines that I have started at the beginning of the week, only to have God change my direction by Sunday morning. I do try to be sensitive to the Holy Ghost and allow Him to guide the direction of the class each week. My life has been full of both good and bad experiences that have proven to be an effective teaching tool for these young ladies that face the temptations from Satan and failed attempts at living a holy life. They respond to my honesty even though I always refrain from sharing graphic details of my past sins and disappointments. The details are not important but how they affected my life and what I have done to move past them is very important. People just want us to be real with them and allow them to be real. Most of these young women have not been raised in church and even the ones that have been in and out of church did not have a consistent godly influence in their lives. God has blessed me to be able to share my life experiences with these women; somehow redeeming those mistakes rather than them being all in vain.

No comments: